In January 1936, the SS Porzellanmanufaktur ALLACH was created in Munich under the control of Heinrich Himmler. Contrary to other economical enterprises of the SS the operation was not directed toward profit. Rather the products of the factory were intended to support the "education to National Socialists". High-ranking artists were locked into contract. The program of the factory included over 240 porcelain and ceramic models. Due to a rapid expansion of the enterprise, the factory was not able to meet production, so in October 1937 a part of production was shifted to the SS-operated Dachau concentration camp. Eventually the entire porcelain production was shifted to Dachau. Originally the Allach factory manufactured only art ceramic, like plates, jugs and vases, but in the war years they also produced simple utensils like ointment containers and cafeteria table-ware. Special occasion gift items intended for loyal SS supporters were also made and given away at dinner parties and other events. Starting from 1941 German civilians and about 50 prisoners of the Dachau concentration camp were employed with production of art and porcelain. Animal porcelain, such as the eagle, horse and shepherd dog were the most popular products of the Allach factory. The popular shepherd dog was produced in 1938 / 1939 by Munich sculptor Professor Theodor Kaerner. The shepherd dog became for the Nazi regime the symbol of strength but for many concentration camp inmates and prisoners of war it became the symbol of terror and force of the SS guards.
Reference Books:: SS PORCELAIN ALLACH. Text by Michael J. Passmore, Edited by Tony L. Oliver. T.L.O. Publications, 1972. Hardcover book in dust jacket, 6 x 8, 107pp. Below is an excerpt from the dust jacket flap. It was due to the unique circumstances that prevailed in Germany in 1934 that made it possible for the very best Artist, Designers, Potters and all persons associated with the manufacture of fine porcelain, to be taken from the many world-famous factories that existed in Germany at that time, such as Dresden, Berlin, Rosenthal, etc., and be employed at the previously virtually unknown factory at Allach. SS Porcelain Allach; describes in detail, without any unnecessary padding, the history and development of the Allach Porcelain Factory, from the time of its acquisition in 1934 by the Personal Staff of the Reichsfuhrer S.S. to the time of the last known piece being manufactured in December, 1944. A wealth of contemporary Art Magazines, Newspapers, Art exhibition catalogues, Documents, Photographs, etc., have been examined in order to obtain detailed information, and illustrations contained in this book. The illustrated section alone comprises approximately 100 specially selected photographic illustrations, each depicting individual examples of Allach porcelain. Of particular interest, all known Allach Porcelain Factory Factory trade marks, monograms and serial numbers, are illustrated and described.
Reprint of the 1938/39 catalog from the Porcelain works at Allach. It is in Good condition but the rear cover has two creases across the upper left corner. Ive indicated the ends of these creases in the third scan with little blue lines to show you where to look. They arent very noticeable but the last 8 pages are also affected. There are no other flaws. 89 items are pictured. This catalog is in German. Below is information from the title page. Porzellan: Manufaktur Allach: Munchen GmbH. Verzeichnis Der Erzeugnisse. Lifte 1938/39. Werk Dachau Reichschatzmeister Schwarz-Platz. Ausstellung und Verkauf Berlin W 9 Hermann Goringstrasse 2/111. The objects are certainly poignant in nature as they can be very innocent looking, but have been produced by the Nazis, by an SS Company, with concentration camp slave labor. One is tempted both to carefully preserve these nice objects produced by slaves as a remembrance to them, or smash them as a remembrance of the Nazis at their worst.
Kathy Williams reports: Most Allach molds are seen in solid white but a few rare colored versions exist. Here is a link to a website with amazing Allach photos: http://www.allachporcelain.com/
Example of bottom of piece.
Allach standing horse
Allach #90 called "Standing Horse", sculpted by Prof. Theodor Karner about 1938. (Theodor Karner also sculpted many horses for Rosenthal). Owned by Kathy Williams.